Friday, March 5, 2010

Time for Tea!

Today we had a Tea for the parents in our program. There are 4 of us that work with these families so we all worked together on this event. It turned out fantastic, the parents had SO MUCH FUN! Most of them had never been to a "tea" before. I made the placemats and purchased beautiful paper goods. We used real China teacups and I put together favor bags! Thanks to Emily (my cousin Matt's girlfriend) for donating the shampoos and soaps for the bags. You're the best Em!
Miriam and Julia show us how to hold the cups with your pinkie finger up!
Some of the best Mommy's in the World.
Love these ladies. They make it a joy to go to work every day.
I am honored that they let me into their lives. Even though there is a language barrier, we communicate effectively and they know what I need from them. They know I adore their children and want them to succeed in parenting and in life.
It is an honor and a priviledge to work with "my Mommy's." I hope that they learn as much from me as I learn from them. I am sincere when I say that...they teach me so much. Anyone who knows me knows how much these ladies mean to me. Actually, today when we were playing a game, one of them stood up and told the group how I was the only one who treated her like a "real person" when she came to me with her newborn baby who has a severe brain injury. I scooped her baby up and loved her from the moment I met her...just like I do with all babies...and no one had done that before. Many people did not even make eye contact with her as she had a "special needs" baby and she was very depressed. Let me tell you this...I still love on that baby and she is now 4 years old! We were all crying when Laura (her Mommy) was telling the story. So...why do I tell you this? You never know when YOU will make a difference in someone's life. Before today, I did not know she felt this way or that I had made an impact on her.
It was a great day, a great party, and I am exhausted! Good Night.

No comments: